Is an Online Abortion or At-Home Abortion Safe?
If you are in a season of life where you are not planning to start or add to a family, an online abortion can seem discreet and convenient, but there are a few essential facts to consider before pursuing this route.
Ordering Online Skips Important Health Screenings
One of the significant downsides of ordering the abortion pill online is that it skips necessary medical procedures, such as a positive pregnancy test and, most importantly, an ultrasound.
An ultrasound can confirm the age of the pregnancy. The age matters because the abortion pill is only FDA-approved up to 10 weeks gestational age.
It will also help detect certain complications, such as if your pregnancy is ectopic. This condition requires treatment other than abortion and can be life-threatening to the woman.
Roughly, up to 26% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. An ultrasound can confirm the viability of the pregnancy and give you confidence in the procedures you qualify for.
You May Not Qualify for the Abortion Pill
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are several situations where you may be ineligible for an abortion pill. These include if you:
- Are too far along in your pregnancy
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place
- Have a suspected pregnancy outside of the uterus
- Have certain medical conditions
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care
- Have an allergy to the medication used
As previously mentioned, ultrasounds can help identify if you are too far along in your pregnancy or have a pregnancy outside of the uterus (an ectopic pregnancy).
The Abortion Pill Comes with Risks
According to the Mayo Clinic, potential risks of medical abortion include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
Next Step: Free Pregnancy Services
At First Care, we provide free pregnancy services to women in need. These include complimentary pregnancy tests and ultrasounds.
We also offer options consultations where you can discuss the results of your ultrasounds and how this may affect your options. Our center is a safe space to learn more about your pregnancy and what local resources are available.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment!Learn More